Author: David P. Encill
Due: Available November 23rd 2014
A sequel to Chance Expressions, this latest volume uncovers more details on the pressed-glass and Fiestaware ranges manufactured by Chance Brothers.
- The entire range of Orlak oven-to-tableware
- Details of five new pressed glass patterns
- New items in all the pressed glass ranges
- All items listed as found in the production records
- Photographs of many previously unseen Fiestaware designs
- All known Green Leaves, Balloon, Cut Pearl patterns
- The Kenneth Townsend 'Shakespeare' range
- Photographs of Koala, Stars, paperweights
- Large catalogue of advertising and promotional trays
- Summaries of Fiesta Glass Ltd and Joseph Joseph ranges
- Circular blank handkerchief vases; Experimental themes
- Large catalogue of items from known Chance competitors
- When Swirl & Lace are not Swirl & Lace!
- Other Chance collectables
Despite its being a producer of domestic glassware, that Chance Brothers was a large industrial glass producer – the largest in the UK and one of the largest in the world during Victorian times – must not be overlooked. Its domestic glass output actually represented a fraction of its total manufacture: it was almost a sideline. Even so, the range of tableware products was vast, in particular, the Fiestaware slumped glass range, which was produced from 1951 to 1981.
Since publishing Chance Expressions, several new revelations have emerged about the glassware that prompted this second volume.
The most significant reason for this is due to the Chance archives moving back to their ancestral home in Smethwick, West Midlands, which permitted unparalleled access to previously unseen documentation.
Given that Chance Brothers started producing domestic glassware in 1929 and continued in this vein for over 50 years, perhaps it is not so surprising. This is the second volume, which expands on the history of domestic glassware from Chance Brothers, 1929 to 1981. At last, the entire ranges of Orlak and Aqualux tableware are revealed, along with details of new pressed-glass and Fiestaware ranges.
▶ 210×297mm large format
▶ 122 pages in length, over 650 full-colour and monochrome images
▶ Quality 130gsm silk-art paper
▶ Binding: Perfect binding, matt laminated
FREE UK postage
See more details on www.chanceglass.net